Fortnite Download Size and System Requirements: Everything You Need to Know
By Marijn Laros | updated On Nov 30, 2023, 1:22 PM UTC
The Battle Royale genre has seen explosive growth in recent years, with games like Fortnite taking the gaming world by storm. Despite fierce competition, Fortnite has managed to maintain its dedicated player base, thanks to the constant stream of new content and exciting crossovers. If you're eager to dive into the world of Fortnite on your PC or mobile device, here's everything you need to know about the game's system requirements and download sizes.
- Fortnite has modest system requirements suitable for low-end PCs.
- Minimum requirements: Core i3 CPU, 4GB RAM, Intel HD 4000.
- Recommended specs: Core i5 CPU, 8GB RAM, GTX 660 or equivalent GPU.
- Download on PC via Epic Games Launcher, on Android through the Epic Games App.
- iOS availability depends on the Apple-Epic legal battle.
- Download size: ~26 GB on PC, 1.56-2.98 GB on mobile.
- Free to play with in-game purchases for cosmetics.
- 8GB RAM is recommended for a smoother experience.
- Fresh installation can reduce the game's file size.
- Compared to other Battle Royale games, Fortnite has a compact download size.
Fortnite Minimum PC Requirements List
Fortnite stands out among Battle Royale games for its accessibility. It's known for its ability to run even on integrated graphics, making it a popular choice for gamers of all levels. To enjoy the game on lower settings, you'll need:
- CPU: Core i3 2.4GHz
- RAM: 4GB RAM
- HDD: 16GB Free Space
- GPU: Intel HD 4000 (integrated graphics)
- OS: Windows 7, 8, or Windows 10 64-bit
- DirectX: Version 11 or better
Fortnite's low minimum requirements ensure that a wide range of players can enjoy the game without the need for high-end hardware.
Fortnite Recommended PC Requirements List
For those seeking a more competitive edge and smoother gameplay, the recommended system requirements are still modest in today's standards. To maximize your Fortnite experience, consider the following specs:
- CPU: Core i5 2.8GHz
- RAM: 8GB RAM
- HDD: 16GB Free Space
- GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 / AMD Radeon HD 7870 or equivalent video card with dedicated memory of 2GB or higher VRAM.
- OS: Windows 7, 8.1, or Windows 10 64-bit
- DirectX: Version 11 or better
These recommended requirements will provide a better gaming experience, especially for players looking for higher frame rates and smoother gameplay.
How to Download Fortnite on PC or Laptop
Getting Fortnite on your PC or laptop is a straightforward process. Here's how to do it:
- Visit the Epic Games Store website and sign in or create an Epic Games Account.
- Once you've signed in, go to the Epic Games Store and click on "Get Epic Games."
- Download and install the Epic Games Launcher by following the on-screen instructions.
- Log in with your credentials, navigate to the Store tab, and search for Fortnite.
- Install the game at your preferred location.
- Once the installation is complete, access the game from your Library and start playing.
Epic Games Store offers not only Fortnite but also a wide range of other titles, often with regional pricing support, discounts, and giveaways.
How to Download Fortnite on Android
Fortnite used to be available on the Google Play Store, but it was removed after Epic Games introduced its own in-game payment system, a move that violated Google's policies. Here's how to download Fortnite on Android:
- Visit fortnite.com/android using your phone's web browser.
- Click on "Get It on The Epic Games App."
- When prompted to download, click "Ok."
- Install the APK, ensuring that installation from unknown sources is allowed on your device.
- In the Epic Games App, search for Fortnite and install it.
- After installation, sign in or create an account to start playing.
Please note that due to the legal battle between Apple and Epic, iOS users may need to wait for a resolution before accessing Fortnite on their devices.
Fortnite Download Size for PC and Mobile
To ensure you have enough storage space for Fortnite, here are the download sizes for different platforms:
- Fortnite PC: Approximately 26 GB
- Fortnite Mobile: Varies between 1.56 to 2.98 GB
Knowing the download sizes will help you prepare your storage space accordingly.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is Fortnite free on PC and Mobile?
Yes, Fortnite is free to play on both PC and Android. You can download it from the Epic Games Store website for PC and from the Epic Games App on Android. However, in-game purchases for cosmetics and accessories are available.
Can I run Fortnite on 4GB of RAM?
Fortnite's minimum system requirements include 4GB of RAM, which means it's technically possible to run the game with this amount. However, for a smoother and more enjoyable experience, it's recommended to have at least 8GB of RAM, as playing with 4GB may result in issues like input lag and blurred graphics.
Fortnite Download Size Breakdown
Are you wondering how much space Fortnite will occupy on your preferred platform? Here's a breakdown of the download sizes:
|Microsoft Windows||26 GB|
|PlayStation 4||18 GB|
|PlayStation 5||18 GB|
|Xbox One||19 GB|
|Xbox Series X||22.5 GB|
These sizes may vary slightly due to updates, so it's a good idea to keep an eye on your available storage space.
How to Check Fortnite's File Size
To check the size of your Fortnite game, follow these steps in the Epic Games Launcher:
- Open the Epic Games Launcher.
- Press the Library button on the left side of the screen.
- Locate Fortnite, press the three dots next to it, and you'll find the file size next to "Uninstall."
By checking your file size, you can ensure that your game falls within the expected range.
Is Fortnite a Large Game?
Compared to other Battle Royale games, Fortnite is relatively compact in terms of download size. Here's a comparison with other popular titles:
- PUBG: 30 GB
- Apex Legends: Approximately 60 GB
- Call of Duty Warzone: 175 GB on PC, 100 GB on consoles
In comparison to non-Battle Royale games, Fortnite remains a reasonably sized game. For instance, games like Valorant have a file size smaller than 4 GB.
Why Is My Fortnite File Size So Large?
Your Fortnite file size may increase due to regular updates and new features. Game modes like Fortnite Save the World can also contribute to larger storage requirements. If you want to reduce the file size, consider doing a fresh installation of Fortnite Battle Royale.
How to Lower Your Fortnite File Size
To reduce your Fortnite file size, follow these steps:
- Locate Fortnite in your game library within the Epic Games Launcher.
- Press the three dots next to Fortnite and select "Uninstall."
- After uninstalling, reinstall Fortnite from the Epic Games Store.
This fresh installation should result in a smaller file size. Keep in mind that different Fortnite seasons may affect the file size due to changes and additions.
Fortnite, a wildly popular Battle Royale game, offers accessibility to a broad range of players with its modest system requirements. Knowing the minimum and recommended specs, download sizes,